800
St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh
St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh

At the centre of Edinburgh, St Giles’ has been in continuous use as a place of worship for centuries. The building has seen many physical changes including extensive exterior remodelling in the 1830s. A programme of repairs to roofing, masonry and stained glass commenced in 1993 and was completed in 2006
St Giles Cathedral: interior lighting
St Giles Cathedral: interior lighting

Chandeliers suspended at the centre of each bay contain multiple circuits, spreading light downwards for worship and upwards to illuminate the surfaces and details that reveal the story of the building. This installation limits cable routes, mounting points and physical intervention.

Designed in collaboration with dpa lighting consultants and Arup Scotland. The chandeliers were made by Mike Stoane Lighting Ltd. Completed in 2009
St Giles Cathedral: South Rooms
St Giles Cathedral: South Rooms

Remodel of underused spaces, completed in 2002
Reid Memorial Church, Edinburgh
Reid Memorial Church, Edinburgh

A group of buildings including church, offices, hall, cloister garden and loggia designed by Leslie G Thomson in 1933 (now A-listed).

Three phases of repair have now been completed, and a new ramped access to the church and garden loggia.
Reid Memorial Church, Edinburgh
Reid Memorial Church, Edinburgh

A group of buildings including church, offices, hall, cloister garden and loggia designed by Leslie G Thomson in 1933 (now A-listed).

Three phases of repair have now been completed, and a new ramped access to the church and garden loggia
St Giles Cathedral: Thistle Chapel Lighting
St Giles Cathedral: Thistle Chapel Lighting

The chapel, opened in 1911, was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer and contains fine work by leading craftsmen of the period.

The interior lighting has been replaced with a new installation using LED fittings, improving illumination and efficiency while ensuring that the light sources are located discreetly and the rewiring avoids disturbance of the delicate carved joinery.

Completed 2011. Photo: Charles Taylor

 

-

Go to top